I always thought it would be so great to have my child know my Grandma Nelson because she was such an incredible person in my life during my formative years. I have very fond and clear memories of cooking with her, washing dishes together, doing projects together and just spending SO much time at my grandparents house while growing up. My grandparents were also incredibly supportive of both me and my brother's education... without their support, I would never be what I am today. I am so greatful for their inspiration and support in this and all areas of my life.
Grandma has lived such a full life... and after losing my grandfather more than 10 years ago, we never thought she would trudge on in life... she sold the big house (where my dad was raised) and moved to a sr. living community where she thrived for more than 7 years. Finally last fall, it became clear that she needed much more support for basic living, so sadly, we put her in the nursing home in my small town of Mora, called The Villa. She did okay for a while and now has really started to decline in all areas of health and life and almost doesn't recognize family at all at this point. This has been a sad way to watch my grandmother prepare to leave the world... it's been even harder watching my parents and in particular my dad watch HIS mother decline...
It's become a bit of a full circle of life in our family with Ben... one is coming and one is going. :)
In March when we were home in Minnesota, Grandma Nelson got to meet Benjamin Nelson Caputo. It was such a sweet reunion. I know Grandma doesn't remember it or really know that it happened, but it was more for all of us than for her really... she touched his hand so gently and sweetly and stared so deep into his big eyes. I don't know if we'll see her at 100 and truth be told, I hope we don't because her poor body is worn out and her life as she, and we have known it is really over... she is ready to go to heaven to be with almost everyone she's ever known in her life.
But, I will still hold in my heart the moment when she got to meet her great grandson, Benjamin. Here are a few pictures of their meeting in March... Happy Birthday Grandma... we love you so much! 
No comments:
Post a Comment